Saturday, July 26, 2008

Almost Forgot


I almost forgot to share the story that gave Eric the most laughs.

I have been teased pretty much constantly my whole life for having a slightly larger posterior. It's a fact I've come to accept and actually embrace. It doesn't really matter even if I drop pounds, lift weights or take my vitamins. My butt remains the same. I know most of you in reader land have actually probably teased me about it at some point, but, in the immortal words of Tupac- "I ain't mad at cha."

But, as it seems, the Cambodians like to make fun of my rear, as well. They pretty much make no bones about telling me I have a large butt. It's really interesting, actually because I've traveled many places, but the Cambodians are the first people that have actually verbalized their thoughts. This has happened twice.

1. Eric and I decided to get massages in Siem Reap. A typical American massage that lasts an hour costs around $60. Here? $6. It was almost impossible to pass it up. It wasn't necessarily a relaxation massage, but rather one of those where the girl walks on your back. As she is doing so she remarks to her friend, walking on Eric's back something in Khmer. I didn't have to be a Cambodian language expert to know what she was saying. The girls giggled to each other and then piped up in English "It's very big". Thank you, ladies.

2. Haggling is a big part of Cambodian life. From tuk tuk rides to market items, reaching a price that's agreeable to both parties is important. So Eric and I start haggling for a motorbike taxi to take us to the Killing Fields. I contend that both of us can fit on to one motorbike, but the driver says "No, too much weight." Of course I threw him the ol "Are you calling me fat" line and he said no, but that my butt was very big. Eric lost it. The driver explodes into laughter. I politely smile. We took two bikes.

What is it with these people? This would not be considered kosher in the USA. But you know what? I kind of like it. It really doesn't bother me at all and I think its really funny, actually. Just makes me wonder what the folks in India are going to think.

2 comments:

Richard said...

You could earn some money by doing some street entertainment - i suggest dancing to 'Baby got Back'!

Unknown said...

not the same taboos, I guess. It is somewhat good that they say out loud what they think. On the other hand, even if I have never been to Cambodia, I can assume that people's figures are much different from Americans' so....
Also, I had never noticed you had a large rear-end, Patrick...maybe because I have never looked at it. I must check this when you are back :)