Thursday, July 10, 2008

Kamakura, Japan

Forgive me while I try to organize this blog...

So I`ve arrived in Japan and, after much debate, decided to start blogging about this whole `around the world` experience. I struggle with my confidence as a writer and thusly will probably be bringing you this blog as anecdotes and random thoughts I have while seeing all corners of this earth. I just don`t believe I have a knack for story telling (my friends will tell you I`m a horrible story teller).

Anyway, after a 645am flight to Chicago, a 5 hour layover, a 13 hour flight to Tokyo, a two hour train ride and a 2 hour wait for my host, I`m here! I`m staying with a couchsurfer (http://www.couchsurfing.com/) in Kamakura, Japan, which is a beach town about 45 minutes south of Tokyo. I chose this place because it seems a little quieter than the hustle and bustle of Tokyo, plus theyve got a huge Buddha statue. My bed is a futon, there is no AC and the flat is tiny, but all is well. Tomoko (my host) has been wonderful thusfar. Her English is a little shaky, but good enough that we can communicate fairly easily.

I will set out in a few minutes to explore Kamakura. Tomoko tried explaining the bus route to get there, but I think that I`ll just use a map and hoof it. That seems like it will provide less confusion (or maybe more, who knows).

So to close this first blog entry (let`s hope I don`t get lazy and slack on more), let me share with you some random observations of Japan:

-I arrived and am instantly the tallest guy in town. Also the fattest. Ok, so I don`t really think I`m the tallest, but of the thousands of people I have seen today, probably top 3. No doubt.

-How much do electricty bills run around here? Everything is neon and flashing. It`s CT`s worst nightmare.

-Obviously a different culture here, but what stands out is that people will go out of their way to help you. If you`re in NYC and look lost, you better ask for directions because no one is stopping to help. Here, I looked lost for a minute and had 2 people come up to me and ask if they could help.

-You know my first dinner story had to be a good one. So I`m in the train station and decide I want a bite to eat. Only I can`t read/recognize any food available. I end up point to a few a la carte items at a little snack place and hope for the best. I take my purchases and go down to the platform to wait on my train. This is where it gets interesting. I put my backpack down and start rifling through the bags. Enclosed are chopsticks, a wet nap, 2 packets of secret sauce, what can only be described as a Japanese mystery meat corndog and two crab cake-looking things.
I start to open the packets of sauce but realize I have to have scissors. Really? You`re in a train station and you have to have scissors to open it? I did the best I could do and punctured a hole in the side of it with a pen. I then start squeezing the sauce onto the crab cakey thing. Only a little comes out. I squeeze harder. (Keep in mind I`m a giant white face in the middle of a bunch of Asian ones and a train platform with two backpacks and a bad haircut.) Of course you know what happens with I squeeze harder. Yup, it shoots a chunk across the platform and lands right next to a girls shoe. She looks at me, looks down, frowns and keeps walking. Score one for the diplomat-in-training!

The meal didnt turn out too poorly. I do think, however, that I ate at the Japanese version of Long John`s.

Until next time...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

after reading some of your curious sitings, i am most interested in your 2 backpacks. how does that work? do you wear them both on your back, one on top of the other? or one in back, one in front like a baby carrier. i'd like a picture of how you're managing this.

Richard said...

Glad to see that you have inherited your father's knack for 'food faux pas'. Just be carefully around the waffle machine! Great blog so far. Richard.

Steve said...

Richard has a point. However it is hard to come up to the level of having the entire waffle line at the buffet closed down for the morning by one 'food faux pas '.