Friday, July 11, 2008

Indiana Barker and the Temple of Money Washers


Just a quick post as I try to save up some energy before dinner...



I started hoofing it to the Daibutsu earlier this morning (for the record, Tokyo is 13 hours ahead of Kentucky). The Daibutsu is also known as the Giant Buddha.
Tomoko (my host) gave me a list of cool sites around the area to see (she had to work). Most consisted of Buddhist Temples and shrines. All were unique. Some things they all share in common. I learned the rituals quickly. Before entering a shrine or temple, there are troughs of water with little pails you must cleanse yourself with before you enter the grounds. Just pour some over the hands, wash out your mouth and you`re set.
The most interesting temple was one in which scores of Japanese folk were washing their money. Literally putting all their bills and coins in a wicker bowl and using a ladel to pour water over it. I`m not sure the reasoning behind it all, but suffice it to say it gives new meaning to the phrase "money laundering".
A nice little food trick I`ve learned from my travels is to bypass the restaurants and head straight to the 7/11s. Yes, while all the tourists were paying 20 bucks for a couple fish heads and some rice, Patrick was sitting on the steps of a shrine chowing down on a fried fish sandwich, some weird bacon sandwich, Japanese Pringles and a Coke. All for about $7. The only problem was that I believe I probably shouldn`t have been eating my cheap lunch on the steps of the shrine while worshipers were gathering. Oops.
Another round of observations:
-This is a really clean country, but where are all the trash cans? Seriously, I can`t find any. There is no trash strewn about on the streets, but no trash cans either. What gives? I had to search 30 minutes before finding (what I believe to be) a trash can to throw away my aforementioned lunch.
-Along the same lines, why don`t they use soap here? Undoubtedly they shower and use soap, but in the bathrooms all there is is water. But seeing as how the Japanese have the longest life expectancy in the world, I won`t ask questions.
-Do children go to school? There are children all over the place here and they look like they`re in transit to school i.e. uniforms, back packs, sack lunches, but they always seem to be in transit.
-One day into the trip and the picture count sits at 100. Looks like I`ll be buying another SD card.
-Someone got it right when they called Japan the "Land of the Rising Sun". Starting rearing its head at about 400am. No joke.
Tomoko promised me we`re going to a Sake bar tonight for dinner. That should be interesting. I`ll be sure to let you all know how it goes.
Until next time...

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Patrick!
Glad you made it to Japan ok, and I'm glad you're blogging. Reading about your adventures makes me wonder if I should get out more... nah. Have fun!
-Jen-

Unknown said...

Eating on the steps of the sanctuary: second diplomatic faux-pas...good job, buddy.
other than this, great observations that require deeper research now.