Wednesday, July 30, 2008

New Day. New Country.

I was starting to worry that in Saigon I wouldn't meet any CS members. But, true to form, the community came through and I had dinner the night before last with a group of truly cool people. As is typical, there was a nice mix at the table for dinner, an American, a Canadian, two Vietnamese and a Malaysian. I'm not sure I'm going to know what to think next time I go to have dinner with my friends and they're all of my ethnicity.

Before dinner, thuogh, I had a cup of coffee with My Than, a Vietnamese girl that has a wonderful smile. We sat and chatted about many things while waiting for other members of out party. The topic of conversation turned quickly to politics. I, as I have in every country I've traveled to thus far, had to explain American's rationale for re-electing Bush in 2004 and in general what the hell America is thinking right now. My asked me an interesting question about individuality in America. She says she doesn't understand why some people want to stand out so much from the rest. She thinks that everyone should work together for a more societal good rather than to be his or her own bright shining star. Interesting.

The next morning My and Kiet (another CSer) were gracious enough to take me to the airport. I felt like I had my own entourage of motorbikes. They got me safely there and away and my flight then left for India.

I've got enough stories about India already to fil a blog, so I'm going to start an entirely different post for that. Let's just say, for now, that India is the strangest, most difficult and fascinating country I've traveled to- and it's only Day 1.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pat, what do you mean "interesting"? what your friend said has been the logic of the French Republic since the XIXth century...and this is passed on through education....

speaking of propaganda...:D

Unknown said...

Maybe "interesting" =silly ;)