Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Sun Shines Bright on My Old Japanese Home?

A couple notes before I hit the sack-

So I brought a couple picture books about Kentucky to give to my hosts and I presented it to Tomoko tonight. We flipped through the book together. She was most impressed with the picture of the original KFC, I think. Anyway, I forget how it came up, but she starts humming, out of the blue, My Old Kentucky Home. She called it the "Kentucky song". My eyes got big. How in the world does she know this song? As it turns out, every Japanese child learns this song when learning English! How 'bout them apples?! If you would have told me, I wouldn't have believed it, but the proof is in the tune!

I did a good job of making myself look like a foreigner tonight while riding the bus to the train station to meet Tomoko. I pushed the call button to let the driver know I wanted off near the station. Turns out, the station is the last stop and everyone unloads at that point. So my pushing the button was meaningless. The man in the seat in front of me turned around to see the idiot who pushed the button. He didn't seem surprised by what he saw.

Alright, off to bed. More adventures tomorrow. Hopefully I can spend the majority of the day in and near an AC.

Until next time...

3 comments:

pking said...

I enjoy reading your blog. You have hope as a writer

NameisLes said...

ah, i knew everyone around the world really does bleed blue!

Unknown said...

If I ever get to teach English in France (or anywhere else btw), I'll make sure to teach this song as well.