Friday, August 1, 2008

A Love/Hate Relationship


If my time in India started out any rockier, I would be Sly Stallone. I was just praying the whole trip wouldn't go like the first 24 hours did. And it hasn't.

It started with an email from my CS host two days before I was set to leave. She regretted to inform me that she couldn't, in fact, host me. So I was scrambling to find a place from CS with no luck. I ended up booking a hotel from an internet cafe in the Bangkok airport. Complete with taxi service from the airport which proved to be a wise decision.

So, I land, seemlessly get through immigration, pick up my bag, find the guy holding a sign with my name no it and I'm on my way. We start on the road and he asks me if I'm hungry. A little bit, I reply. But something fast, like McDonalds. It's late and I'm tired. So what does he do? He drops me off in a smoke-filled restaurant full of seedy looking men and tells me to order food and he'll wait outside. Not what I had in mind. Blame it on Southeast Asia- I'm skeptical of everyone who is even the slightest bit nice to me. Plus I had left my bags in his car and in general just didn't trust anyone. I finished as quickly as I could (paid with credit card because I didnt have ANY rupees) and got back in the car. We then proceed to stop at 3 ATMs, none of which will dispense any cash to me. Things are starting to look down for India. I didn't hit rock bottom until the next morning.

First let me say that India is a world unlike I've ever known. Being outside for 10 minutes (if you believe it) makes me long for the sanity and organization of the Middle East. (I later found out that the only reason it's such a mess around my hotel is that I'm staying in Old Delhi, which is like being thrust back into the 18th century save the incessant car horn honking. New Delhi is actually much more civilized and saner.) So my mission yesterday morning is to find an ATM. That's the only goal. I hired a cycle rickshaw, we negotiate a firm 40 rupees price (about $1US). He starts peddling. Suffice it to say I ended up nowhere near an ATM, raining pouring down, soaking wet, huddled in a weird little pod thing sitting on the ground cursing my life and this country. After I climb back onto the rickshaw I had to hop off a couple more times in protest because he was trying to charge me more to get to the ATM. When we finally arrived, the ATM wouldn't accept my card. Next ATM, same story. Delhi's monsoon rains were pouring down at this point and I was in no mood. Finally I got to an ATM that realized I actually have money in my account and pulled out that equivalent of $375US because my math sucks and I couldn't get a grip on the conversion rate.

Speaking of Rocky, you should have seen me. I was staggering down the street like a prize fighter in the 10th round. Being tired, wet and hungry are not feelings that any human desires to feel, but all were hitting me at once. I finally make it back to the hotel and, much to the amusement of the hotel staff, sopping wet. I ask "Does it rain everyday?" The bubbly clerk replied "No! Today is the first day of monsoon!" Awesome. Glad I could be a part of it.

But, thankfully, the day got better. I had a nice brunch at the hotel restaurant and ventured out to see the Red Fort, one of Delhi's main attractions. I also scheduled to meet a CSer in the evening. Around 7pm I met Mohit at the metro station. Mohit is a really cool guy. His English is near flawless and his entusiasm for his city and his country spills out in his speech. He took me to see the Presidential Palace and all the government buildings which I would compare to the Mall on Washington. He proved to be an OUTSTANDING tour guide. He knows so much history about the city and country. Much more than the average person I think. Without him, I would have been aimlessly wondering around the city saying "Oh, that's pretty". But now I know the stories behind it all. After sharing an ear of corn prepared by a street vendor, we went back to his home where his mother had prepared dinner for us. What proceeded was a wonderful night of conversation, good food and fun. CS once again saves the day!

Today I will also meet with a CS family for dinner. I will go to Roopinder Singh's home tonight where his wife and children will meet me and we will have a Punjabi dinner. I'm very excited. I've spoken with him on the phone a few times and he seems like a great guy.

To sum it up, India is outstandingly overwhelming at first. Nothing operates the way I would like it to, which may be part of the problem. India works at its own pace. I've realized I'm going to have to push and shove if I want to get anywhere. But this country is amazing. Truly a world all it's own. Alright, I need to get moving because other folks are waiting on the computer. But trust me, more is surely to come from India. Hopefully I'll avoid the monsoon today.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure whether you can really avoid the monsoon...
I absolutely love to read your stories, they could be short movies and I feel that I am there too, just as soaked as you are (oh no, wait, that's my daily shower)...

Steve said...

With $375 US dollars worth of Rupee's in your pocket then you are probably the current Donald Trump of Old Delhi.

Steve said...

Bear in mind that either cab driver dropped you off at the family resturant or he got a cut of the cost of the meal.

Patrick B said...

Well, the cut couldn't have been too much since I only spent $4