Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Colonel Spoke to Me


You know, the cool thing abut being from Kentucky is that everyone has heard of it. Granted, just because of KFC, but that's a stepping stone into a deeper conversation. Every country I've ever been in has had a KFC (save Andorra and the Vatican). It is truly a worldwide phenomenon.

I had to go to the post office this afternoon to mail a package (which is a totally different blog entry itself) and noticed a KFC next door. I decided to give KFC New Delhi a whirl. Before you all start groaning please note that I've eaten SO much Indian food I've grown a little weary of it. And I wasn't really feeling a Chinese buffet. So anyway I placed my order for a King Kong box and took my seat. As I sit, scarfing down a delectible chicken leg and rubbing arms with more turbans and sarees- it dawns on me. KFC truly is global. I like global things. I like global jobs. I like KFC. I'm from Kentucky. See where I'm going with this? So I don't know if KFC has a "overseas operations supervisor" position but I might really be interested in something like that. Travel, meet people, learn culture, tailor KFC to meet cultures and represent my state and my country.

So, if anyone from my Louisville readership area has any connections over at Yum!, pass my blog along. If they're interested in a young, cultured, fiercely proud Kentuckian (I was humming My Old Kentucky Home at the Taj yesterday- don't ask why. I don't know) to promote their good fried chicken abroad, we can talk.

I'm only half-way kidding. :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

1) i disagree with your first paragraph..No one really knows about KY in France, except maybe for fans of the Backstreet Boys at the time (and still, I'm not sure)...You would tell me you are from KY, it's like me saying where my grandmother lives (very charming place by the way).
2) So.......you want to do with KFC, what McDonalds has done and keeps doing? Are you sure you want to be hated? Don't ever come to France with your super idea, we (yes, including me)are going to throw stuff at you like pictures of Mr Colonel Sanders when we don't burn these pictures....
I'm only warning you. :) because you are my friend. :D

Unknown said...

So I've spent a good hour or two today catching completely up on your blog... and I must say you are much better at writing than expression in the oral tradition. :) Captivating stuff. This particular post reminds me of a lovely KFC seen from a spire of La Sagrada Familia. My girlfriend's in Costa Rica. You're everywhere. I'm doing well to leave my apartment once a day!

Richard said...

!!!VIVA KFC!!! every-one likes the Colonel - how can you hate a man with a big smile and a fluffy white beard. Come on Floriane - it's finger lickin' good!

Anonymous said...

did you not know that your bff goes to church with one of the VP's for YUM??? I can totally get you in!

P.s. why am i the only one who has to comment under my aim screenname???

Unknown said...

My dearest Richard,
French people would not see him as a kind Santa bringing us delicious food, but as the Troy horse(?) bringing us unhealthy fried food: "Stupid capitalist American people trying to have their way into our beautiful healthy country that has a long tradition of delicious cuisine"...Ronald the clown is supposed to be kind too (even if, in my case, he has always scared me), and yet MANY McDonalds restaurants have been torn down!! I think that once, a restaurant was destroyed with a bomb (at night of course). Not kidding...

Patrick B said...

I'll put this dispute to rest- I dont want to go to France anyway. :)

Unknown said...

Patrick Ford Barker!!!
Yes, you do.