Friday, August 1, 2008

A Round of Observations


Just some random thoughts.

-No matter how hard I try, I will never understand why here, and in the Middle East, men want to hold hands with each other. It's a very very foreign concept to me. I was told it just shows they are very good friends. Ok, I can understand that, but is it really necessary to hold hands in the process? I tried to imagine holding hands and walking downtown Lexington with some of my male friends but my brain wouldn't even let me. The idea must be so repulsive that my mind can't comprehend it. You NEVER see men and women holding hands here. Only men and men. I'll never get it.

-I've decided riding on a bicycle rickshaw is like that girl in high school that kept breaking your heart but you couldn't get over her. Cycle rickshaws are hot, slow and bumpy. But for some reason I'm in love with the idea of being pedaled through the streets of Delhi. Each of my journeys I've been rained on and had no canopy. Everytime I swear I'll never get on another one, but I do.

-They don't care to stare you down here. Nothing imposing, just curiousity I think. Guys will stare holes through me. Sometimes I start to feel like a New Yorker and want to yell at them "What the hell are you staring at? You want trouble? I'll give you trouble!" But I typically refrain.

-I've seen too many penises already. Guys just pee wherever suits them in broad daylight on the side of the street.

-I got my first taste of cows in the road today. True to what I had heard, traffic slowed and yielded rightaway. I was hoping that when a cow wondered onto the road it would be like in Return of the Jedi when the Ewoks first saw C3PO and started chanting and worshipping him. Unfortunately, that's not how it usually goes here.

-I'm addicted to bargaining. When I get back to the states I'll probably forget and try to bargain for jar of Ovaltine at Kroger. "$4? No, I think that's too expensive. $1.50. Good price for you!"

-I want to take pictures of every single person I see. It's ridiculous. Everyone is so unique with the clothing, beards or jewelry that I just want to snap pictures all the time. I realize I've just got a Canon point and click and I'm not on assignment from National Geographic so I refrain. Plus I don't know where I would find a SD card big enough to fit 1.6 billion pictures.

-The food is soooo good here. I'm spoiled now and will probably refuse to pay $12 for Chicken Makhani from Tandoor when I know I can get it on the street in Delhi for $1.50.

-What's the deal with the time here? Delhi is EST +9:30. Where did the extra 30 minutes come from? Why can't they be conformists?

Alright, so those are my thoughts for now. I'll get back a little later on with another round. As you can tell, this country is really an assault on the senses and a truly wonderful experience.

3 comments:

Richard said...

It sounds like India will be the comedy element of your movie (may I suggest Jim Carey for the lead role). I keep visioning you bouncing along on a rickshaw, in the rain, looking quizically at two men holding hands while peeing with the other!

Unknown said...

1) "I've seen too many penises already." ... I'm not sure that you should have started the paragraph with this one sentence, it was very disturbing to read.
2) I would vote for Richard Gere for the lead role :D
3) ...."if you're looking for trouble, you came to the right place" (i.e. Turkey Foot, Lex, KY) - Patrick "Elvis" Barker...

Unknown said...

also, about men holding hands, ..... I assume it is as awkward as French people kissing each other, even among men in the same family, to your point of view ...or American hugs, to my point of view: I will never understand that concept and how there can even be different types of hugs...I was told one day that my hug seemed to be a good-bye hug....how could it be a goodbye hug? i even don't know what a hello hug feels like!