Saturday, August 9, 2008

Facebook

Just a short post about Facebooking here in Syria. Apparently the government has blocked access to the website. I tried to log on and got an error message. I lamented out loud to the guy on duty in Arabic that there was no Facebook. That led to a small exchange that went like this (in Arabic, of course)-

Me: "What? No facebook here?"
Guy: "No, I'm sorry. No facebook."
Me: "That sucks" (I actually said this in English)
Guy: "Where are you from?" (back to Arabic)
Me: "The USA."
Guy: Has look of hesitation. "Just one minute"
Me: "Um, ok."

He goes and retreives a small flash drive and sticks it in my computer. Clicks a few icons and voila! Facebook. Apparently I passed the sniff test.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Strange but/and interesting...
Do you know more about this "event"?